Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape library operations

2003-06-10 19:25:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape library operations
From: Oscar NOSPAM Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:37:06 +0200
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Stan Horwitz wrote:

SH> In an earlier version of NetWorker, when we first bought our Qualstar
SH> library, I started out by managing tapes by manually opening the front door
SH> of the library, and replacing full tapes with eligible tapes without using
SH> nsrjb to withraw and deposit tapes; I would just reinventory the library
SH> after swapping out the tapes. I did not have to do this very often so it
took
SH> a little while before I realized that doing so was not a good idea. This
SH> practice caused NetWorker's media database to become outdated so I stopped
SH> doing that and I resorted to using "nsrjb". I am wondering if the practice
of
SH> manually loading/unloading tapes with NetWorker 6.1.3 would still present
SH> media database problems, or if there is some other more efficient way of
SH> swapping out tapes with this type of tape library.

Yes, it would. However, if you eject the drives with nsrjb -u and then do
the swapping, you'll just have to run nsrjb -I after that to update
networkers inventory, if you have auto inventory switched on (if your
autochanger supports that). If you have a barcode reader, that should
complete in a few minutes. However, if you load tapes that are not in the
media index, networker will load them into the juxebox devices and attempt
to read them. That takes a wee bit longer, especially if there are many
blank tapes. :)

SH> When we originally bought this tape library, we intended to keep three
months
SH> worth of data online in the library. Now, I shoot to keep one week's worth
of
SH> data in the library, although we still have a lot of data on tape in the
SH> library that's many months old. I usually swap out about 15 to 20 AIT-2
tapes
SH> every other day.

We have a Scalar 1000. It has been working with almost no complications
for 6 months now. We recently expanded the chassi in order to add more
slots, and that was quite hassle-free as well. One just have to remember
how to reinstall the jukebox in networker. :) If you aren't short of
floorspace, the scalar 1000 will do the trick for you. And you can get
away cheap too, if you buy used libraries. Check on ebay if there are any
being auctioned out at the moment. I think we paid ~$20k USD for ours on
ebay. That included 6 AIT2 drives. And don't worry about support, you can
get a support contract from Anacomp (for instance), even if its 2nd hand
gear.

//Oscar