Networker

[Networker] depositing previously-labelled tapes into a new NSR host

2003-06-04 22:44:00
Subject: [Networker] depositing previously-labelled tapes into a new NSR host
From: Ty Young <phillip_young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 22:44:06 -0400
If I have a box of tapes which were known at one time to a now-deprecated
NetWorker server, and I want to use them with a new NetWorker server, it's
my understanding that I have to follow this procedure in order to make them
useable:

1.  nsrjb -d tape1 tape2 ... tapeN
2.  nsrjb -Lv -Y -bSomePool tape1 tape2 ... tapeN

In other words, even though my jb has auto media mgmt turned on, these are
not "new" (i.e., blank) tapes, so the new server will not overwrite them
(as a safety measure.)

Is this correct?  Is there a more efficient means of achieving the same
goal?  (It just occurred to me that a large magnet might be helpful...)

TIA
-ty