Networker

Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 21 May 2003 to 22 May 2003 (#2003-139)

2003-05-23 14:12:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 21 May 2003 to 22 May 2003 (#2003-139)
From: Jim McAlarney <JMcAlarney AT HUBER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:11:41 -0400
>From:  Van Den Abeele Kristof <Kristof.VanDenAbeele AT NBB DOT BE>
>Date:  5/22/03 6:24AM
>Subject:       Stopping environments - Taking backup - Restart them
>
>Hello List ,
>
>I have a machine on which are running multiple environments. Let's
presume 3  ( in real there are 6 )

>What I want to do is :     Stop Env 1,2 & 3
>
>                                    Take backup of env 1,2 & 3
>
>                                    Start Env 1 up when backup of env
1 is done

>                                    Start Env 2 up when backup of env
2 is done

>                                    Start Env 3 up when backup of env
3 is done

>So they may all stop at the same time in the begin , but at the end
maybe env3 starts up first , then 1 , then 2.
>Hope this makes sense....
>
>How to set things up in NetWorker ?

I use two groups to backup each of my Oracle database servers.  One
group does daily incremental backups of the common filesystems.  It is
set to backup "All" savesets.  The other group does daily full backups
of named savesets that contain my Oracle database files.  I use .nsr
files to have the incremental backup skip the directories that are
covered by the full backup.  If an administrator adds a filesystem that
should be backed up in full daily, but doesn't add it to the second
group, at least it is automatically included in the backup by the first
group.

You can set up four groups for your server.  One to use the precmd to
handle stopping your environments, starting the other three groups, and
backing up common savesets.  It would not need a postcmd.  The other
three groups would backup their individual savesets and then restart
their individual environment.  They don't need precmds unless you want
to do something unique to each environment.

It's best to use nsradmin to start the individual environment save
groups instead of calling savegrp.  That lets you stop and restart the
group if you need to without having to kill savegrp.  Here's a ksh I use
to do that:

#!/bin/ksh
#
#  Script to start a Legato backup from the command line
#
#  savegrps started this way are still controllable from the GUI
#  If savegrp is used directly, then the group cannot be stopped
#  or started from the GUI.
#
nsradmin -i - <<EOF
. type:NSR group; name:$1
update autostart:"start now"
quit
EOF

---
Jim McAlarney                                         Huber Engineered
Materials
phone:  404-949-5505                              4401 Northside
Parkway
fax:       404-949-1305                              Suite 600
jmcalarney AT huber DOT com                            Atlanta, GA  30327