Networker

Re: [Networker] Initial Report on Functionality improvements in N W7 using Adv_Fil e devices

2003-05-22 14:29:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Initial Report on Functionality improvements in N W7 using Adv_Fil e devices
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:29:34 -0400
"for pure speed, today's tape drives are streets ahead. "

I'll certainly debate that!  In our lab, I see NetWorker sustain
backup-to-disk data rates to storage arrays that exceed all of the tape
devices (uncompressed) listed in
http://www.storagemountain.com/hardware-drives.html.  And this is with 4+1
and 8+1 RAID-5 LUNs - nothing fancy, standard stuff.  Sure, today's tape
devices are faster than many single spindle disks (no RAID) or older storage
arrays.  But tape is not faster, head to head, that a storage array LUN.
And, in the future, you can use that same storage array to perform a backup
via a replica (snapshot, clone, mirror), which can save terabytes in seconds
- something a tape drive will never be able to do.

tl

Terry Lemons
> CLARiiON Applications Integration Engineering
        EMC²
where information lives

4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580