Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO speed is slow

2003-05-21 16:17:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO speed is slow
From: Dave Smith <rikk0088 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:17:19 -0700
I also saw the tech note that indicated stepping down the 29160 from 160 to 80
may help, it didn't.

I haven't tried NTBACKUP, never used it before.  Does it show the device speed?

I've had the drive tested by the tech's and also downloaded a utility from the
HP site for testing.  The drive seams to be fine.

I've backed up large files (1GB) from 3 different local devices.  The target
session for the drive is 6, the client is set to 8.  The server is set to 16.
I've had several sessions going to the device at once.

"Day, David" <david.day AT CENTERPULSE DOT COM> wrote:
Have you tried any native backups to compare speed? I use the same drives
on a Solaris system and get slower than expected results but still 8-18gb/s.
My drives are HVDS and so are a bit slower than LVDS. Early on I had to
make changes to a config file (st.conf) to help performance with Legato
while TAR backed up at a normal rate without the changes.

Are there any hotfixes related to your hardware? Can you tell what the sync
rate is on your 39160? I had to step down a 29160 to help with a DLT8000 on
a W2K box.

Using local data for testing is a great idea. Takes any transitory network
latency out of the formula. I have some W2K clients that give me 2-3mb/s on
a good day while most W2K hosts can generate at least 8mb/s.

I've not looked on a Windows server. Can you play with blocks or buffers in
that environment? Do you have any SNMP tools for the drive to check for
errors or problems? I get some info through a controller on my Galactica
library and find that information sometimes helpful.

David