Networker

Re: [Networker] across domain recovery

2003-05-20 11:56:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] across domain recovery
From: Lynsey Wyles <Lynsey_2_Wyles AT GSK DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:57:04 -0400
Thank you Ernie for your detailed reply.

I am backing up the 'ALL' saveset for this particular client...so there is
no problem with what I'm backing up, and I was running a test recovery on
the c:\temp folder to recover it to d:\recover folder! so nothing unusual
here.

I am using networker user on the backup server and get this message during
a directed recovery to the client.

I have just run a recovery on the client itself, as you suggested, using
the Networker User and this has worked...so no problems here.

I just get the 'no network path when running a directed recovery on the
backup server.

Lynsey

That sounds quite normal to me: You must ask yourself why the message
"Network path was not found" is being displayed.
This message implies that you are doing something you should not be doing,
because Networker does not use a network path to backup or recover (unless
you did something the developers did not think of ;-).

Backups are always done through the nsrexecd service on the client. The
nsrexecd service runs under local system account and can only access the
file systems through the assigned drive letters. This implies that a backup
of a (remote) client will always backup the filesystems as if the backup
application runs on the client it self.

What might not be obvious is that Network NEVER uses a domain account !!!!
Therefor it is unimportant to which domain the server and the client
belongs. Also this does not have any influence on the recovery of
permissions because these are located within the backup file (ie blob) and
are recovered on the client (not server). Permissions (ACLS) contains a list
of SIDs and GIDs that are relative to the client SAM and domain SAM only.

If you receive this message during a recovery then it implies that you did
not backup the local drives using the drive letters but that an UNC name was
used instead (very bad practice) which can not be found or you are trying to
relocate the files to a network resource.

The important questions are:
   What are the saveset (names) that were backed up ? Did you
use UNC
names and does the share still exist ?
   What did you specify during the recovery ?
      Are you doing a recovery from the server
instead of the
client with relocation of the files ?

The proper methodes for this type of recovery are:
1) Logon to the CLIENT and use WINWORKR or recover (.../nsr/bin/recover.exe)
to do a normal recovery.
2) Logon to the server and do a directed recovery (from client to client)

There is a third methode using another client but that is for the more
experienced because it involves changes to client and the server.

Bye
Ernie