Networker

[Networker] Client backup failure wiht RPC error

2003-05-09 12:04:47
Subject: [Networker] Client backup failure wiht RPC error
From: Matthew Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 11:32:51 -0400
We have a problem with an IRIX client which we've been backing up
for almost 2 years.   There have been no OS changes.   We're running
server version 6.1.3 on a RedHat Linux computer (7.3)

The client has 2 ethernet cards, which I suspect is part of the
problem, but I'm not sure.

Until last week, server initiated backups always worked without
a hitch.  We did once have a problem which is relavent to this,
I think, and that is that we weren't able to do a recover initiated
from the client.

So, call the client zzz1.   It has a second ethernet card and there
appears as zzz2.   Each has an address in our normal network address
space.

Right now, if I try to recover from the client, I get the following
error:
==============
recover: Cannot start session with server tapes.dfci.harvard.edu: Unable
to receive
==============

If I tell the host machine that the client has the address assigned to
zzz2,  I get the following error message:
==============
recover: Cannot start session with server tapes.dfci.harvard.edu:
Authentication error
From the server, I get the following error message when backing up:

* zzz1:All 2 retries attempted
* zzz1:All nsrexec: authtype rsh
* zzz1:All savefs: RPC error: Unable to receive
* zzz1:All savefs: cannot retrieve client resources
  savefs zzz1: failed.

Our server isn't running any firewall, and, to my knowledge,
neither is the client.   We moved our office at approximately
the same time this started, we also upgraded from 6.1.1  (I
think) to 6.1.3.

During part of this time, we saw an ARP problem where it looked liker
another machine had tried to take this client's IP address, but that
has been resolved.

I've got another strange phenomenon.   What is this telling me?

zzz1.dfci.harvard.edu# /usr/etc/nsrports
nsrports: RAP error: Service not available.

Any help or pointer suggesting where to start would be deeply
appreciated.

                                       Matt Temple

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!