Networker

Re: [Networker] RedHat 9 support/workarounds?

2003-05-01 22:44:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] RedHat 9 support/workarounds?
From: Matthew Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:27:23 -0400
On Thu, 1 May 2003, Rich Graves wrote:

> On a single-CPU RedHat 9 2.4.20-9/i686 test machine, both NetWorker 6.1.3
> and 7.0 fail all network operations (save, nsrwatch) with the error
>
>    *** Server unavailable: Unable to receive
>
> I've tried setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.2.5 and 2.4.9 without effect.
>
> We have both 6.1.3 and 7.0 are working on RedHat 8.0 and also on an older
> test system running the last pre-9 beta, phoebe-3.
>
> Legato has told us they'll support RedHat 9 in July. Does anyone have a
> workaround we can use before that?
>
> Ordinarily I wouldn't be trying to push the bleeding edge like this, but
> RedHat's recent planned obsolescence strategy for non-Enterprise versions
> is making me worry.
> --
> Rich Graves <rcgraves AT brandeis DOT edu>
> UNet Systems Administrator

I just upgraded my local workstation to RH 9.   It already had the
6.1.3 client software installed.   It's backed up successfully a
number of times.   Are you referring to a Legato Server?

As for the overly-frequent version changes and this bifurcation
of version types that RH has embarked on, it is curious.   Still,
they are supporting errata and fixes for older versions, aren't
they?   So if you have something working, you have no obligation
to upgrade.   This reminds me of days when I was a VMS system manager.
Many of us kept VMS 5.5-1 for quite a number of years.   Who is
more compulsive, RH for coming out with the upgrades, or
us, for thinking we have to implement them?

                                        mht

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!