Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox 'RR9310' failed: server is busy, please retry request

2003-05-01 09:08:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox 'RR9310' failed: server is busy, please retry request
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:08:51 -0400
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:27:16 -0400, Natalie Mead
<nmead AT CAMBRIDGECOMPUTER DOT COM> wrote:

>  Has anyone else seen this issue.  I am running NetWorker 6.1.3 with 32
>SAN Storage Nodes using AlphaStor 2.12_P2.  The silo is a 9310 using
>ACSLS.  I am noticing tape mount requests take close to 10 minutes to load
>a volume mainly because the silo umount and mounts the volume 3 times
>before it verifies the label.  The daemon.log reports (after every mount)
>
>"Jukebox 'RR9310' failed: server is busy, please retry request"
>
>By the way, this error occurs constantly, not just when during heavy backup
>loads.

I'm not very experienced with ACSLS systems so not quite sure how ACSLS and
NetWorker interact, but I can give you a little background on the message
you are seeing. The "server is busy" does not exactly mean that the server
is heavily loaded. What it usually means is that it is "busy" starting the
nsrmmd process that it needs to talk to in order to load the tape. If the
nsrmmd is restarting for some reason such as following a daemon restart on
a storage node you would see this message once, then the nsrmmd restart
will take place and the command will succeed the second time. I'm not quite
sure how this fits your situation but it might help you to understand what
is going on.