Networker

Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?

2003-04-30 10:44:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?
From: Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:44:44 -0500
Presently, we backup about ~40 Solaris boxes and very reliably. It has been
dictated from higher up that we look at backing up NT/W2k servers.

>From this thread, it seems like we might be opening the flood gates to many
problems and reliability issues.

What type of problems have people been having with NT/W2k server backups to a
Solaris backup server?
I also heard that there was in the past a problem with backing up the Windows
registry. Is this still a problem?

Thanks!
Paula

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:01:20 -0400, Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
wrote:

>I have noticed the exact same pattern.  We have a different mix 130NT
>and 40Unix.  But there are very rarely problems with the Unix clients,
>while there is almost never a night that doesn't have NT failures.  I've
>not figured out a way to make the NT clients more reliable (then again
>neither has Bill).
>
>If any NT gurus have figured this out I'd like to hear what they've done
>also.
| Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ/VE4HZ                    Room 624 Eng.        |
| Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca |
| Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
| University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-7920  |