Networker

Re: [Networker] Creating a dump of a legato tape?

2003-04-29 22:53:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Creating a dump of a legato tape?
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:53:01 +1000
George,

> We all know that you can clone a NetWorker volume which is really just
> cloning all the savesets, but does anyone if you can use something like
> 'dd' to dump the contents of a NetWorker labeled tape to something like
> tar and then re - 'dd' it back to another "blank" tape?

In theory I can't see why not (it is unlikely that tar would have a
place in this process...).

NetWorker writes multiple files (hundreds) to the tape so you would
need to run your dd multiple times.

You would also need to ensure that your destination tape was able to
hold all the data that was on the source tape.  Usually NetWorker fills
a tape as full as it can (it writes until EOT), and different tapes
could have slightly different capacities (they are probably
manufactured with slightly different lengths, and then media faults
will chew up different amounts of tape, and some drive types are
reputed to change compression algorithms etc to match the incoming data
rates).

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University