Networker

Re: [Networker] How is client index updated?

2003-04-29 04:31:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] How is client index updated?
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:31:31 +1000
George,

Didn't see any responses to this...

> Is it possible for the primary server to update a client index if it
> cannot communicate with the client but the storage node can? In other
> words, if the primary server can communicate with the storage node and
> the storage node can backup the client, can the primary server update
> the client's index via the storage node? Clearly, it could write the
> index to tape since the index resides on the main server, but I'm not
> sure how the index would get updated while backups are running.

Quick answer is "no".

Your client must be able to talk to both the server (via the interface
you specify with "save -s my_server") and the storage node (via the
interface configured into the "storage nodes" parameter of its NSR
client resource).

As well as this, the server must be able to talk to the storage node
(via the interface specified in the same "storage nodes" parameter).

As well #2, if you want to use server initiated backups (eg, via
savegrp) then the server must be able to talk to the client (via the
interface specified by the actual name of the client).

The index data is sent directly to nsrindexd (or child) on the server
and the backup data is sent directly to the nsrmmd on the storage
node.  (BTW, this only applies to more recent revision clients.  Older
versions, like the Netware one, know nothing of storage nodes and send
their data only to the server which will then pass it onto the
appropriate nsrmmd.  This seems to work find, albeit slowly.  The
gotcha is when you attempt a recovery.  It just doesn't work like it
should...)

This all comes into play when you try to do fancy network partitioning
(like firewalling or private backup networks).  You don't need to
understand or worry about any of it when you work with normal straight
forward networks.

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University