Networker

[Networker] command line recover engineering enhancement

2003-04-28 15:58:45
Subject: [Networker] command line recover engineering enhancement
From: "O'Brien, Pat" <Pat.Obrien AT CHOICEPOINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:58:34 -0400
I just attempted to log a call, but we seem to have expired, and they woould
not take my call.  What ever that is fine, but I have just come up with a
engineering enhancement idea for the product that I think is too good to not
try and pass along through any side door I can locate.

This idea has to do with recoveries, and more specific, manual command line
recoveries.  As this is something that I do a lot of, I found this
opportunity for more improvement.  At the command line, you are allowed to
review versions, and add files and delete files to be recovered, change
search time, however the caveat from my perspective is that when I am
restoring restores in the hundreds of gigabytes, I would like to know more
precisely by at least a estimated counter with a command.   This is the
first data flagged on the screen when the recover is actually launched, but
I would like to better prepare my disk space and be more precise before
starting the recovery as I often restore to different filesystems than the
data was saved from and we have a plethura of sizes in our filesystems.