Networker

[Networker] [WRONG>] RE: [Networker] Networker 7.0 Does NOT support TRU64 v4. X anything!

2003-04-25 17:11:49
Subject: [Networker] [WRONG>] RE: [Networker] Networker 7.0 Does NOT support TRU64 v4. X anything!
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:11:38 -0700
I was wrong when I sent this message out to the list.  NW7.0 DOES support
6.1.1 clients.  Sorry for crying wolf.

After communicating with Legato, they assured me that they had tested Tru64
4.0F clients and they worked.

I reinstalled everything and tried it and indeed it worked this time.

The only difference this time was I permanently authorized the upgrade
license.

Apparently the Upgrade License enabler does not work correctly. I entered
the number, and the registration said the upgrade was good for 30 days, but
the 6.1.1 clients and the Windows 2000 6.1.1 storage nodes DID NOT work.
What made it difficult to analyze was that the NT4 6.1.1 storage nodes DID
work.  Since NW7 doesn't have a storage node for NT4, licenseing doesn't
prohibit you from using a 6.1.1 storage nodes.

What I don't understand is why the Upgrade license failed in this manner?
If the license had not been installed at all, I couldn't have mounted the
devices since they were licensed under 6.x only.  I found this out when I
reinstalled.  Fortunately, this time I permanently authorized the upgrade
license and it works fine.

If the legato error message had read "Not licensed to connect to this
version of Networker" instead of "Upgrade your client to the latest
version", all this could have been avoided.

Are you listening Legato?

The moral of this story is "Legato Licenseing can cause a complete backup
failure.  Be aware"

(I Hate Licenseing!)

Calvin Thomas
UNIX System Administrator