Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP clients indexes gets backed up to pool Default - howto solve?

2003-04-25 05:50:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP clients indexes gets backed up to pool Default - howto solve?
From: Philippe Michel <Philippe.Michel AT THALES-IS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:50:45 +0200
Oscar NOSPAM Olsson wrote:

> We have recently begun backing up a netapp filer via NDMP. We run
> snapimage on the backup server, and one jukebox tape on the backup server
> has been reassigned as a dedicated NDMP device. However, the indexes that
> belong to the NDMP clients gets backed up to the pool Default. This is
> undesirable since that pool can't be edited, and thus recycle to/from
> other pools can't be enabled.
>
> As far as I have understood, only NDMP data may be backed up to the NDMP
> drive, and only NDMP data should be written to the pool that is specificly
> assigned for NDMP clients, correct?
>
> Our normal clients are grouped in different groups, and the pools match
> the client group. Then the indexes for a specific client gets written down
> to the same pool as the client. The NDMP clients are grouped in a specific
> group that is dedicated for only NDMP clients. The NDMP dedicated pool
> matches only client names. Why not match by group this time as well, one
> may ask? Well, its because I have understood that one needs to separate
> NDMP data from other normal legato data, which the indexes still are,
> correct?
>
> So what I have tried is creating a new pool that matches the client names
> and saveset data in the format (without ")
> "therealnsrservername:therealclientname:index" - however it still wishes
> to write indexes to the default pool. The backupserver itself, when backed
> up, is matched by group membership, as everything else, when networker
> decides to what pool the backup should be written to.
>
> So how can I solve this without creating a tape or file device that has a
> tape beloning to group Default mounted? Perhaps matching the nsrservername
> and the specific index savesets to a specific pool?

The following pool configuration works fine for us :

NDMP pools (full & differential) with the NDMP groups checked and the netapp
clients listed. NDMP data goes there.
Regular pools with the NDMP (and other) groups checked, no clients listed.
Regular data and all indexes go there.

You should look in the Administration guide, ch. 5. Its introducing text is
hardly lucid but table 33 "Networker hierarchy for resolving pool conflicts" is
where the pools selection rules are "explained".
With our configuration, the NDMP data sets match the NDMP pools at line 3 and
other clients and all indexes fall through down to line 7 where they match the
regular pools.