Networker

Re: [Networker] "Waiting for 1 writable volumes"

2003-04-22 21:48:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] "Waiting for 1 writable volumes"
From: Vitaly Porotikov <vitaly.porotikov AT NSSMB DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:38:30 +0900
  Yura Pismerov wrote:

> "Porotikov, Vitaly [IT]" wrote:
> >
> > Yuriy,
> >
> >    Did you try to kill nsrmm process which is responsible for this tape
> > drive?
> >
> > give a try:
> >
> > kill -9 `lsof |grep /dev/rmt/<idle devcie>|awk '{print $2}'`
>
> Thanks. My point is there should be no manual intervention in the
> process.
> I have analyzed the messages (nsradmin->NSR jukebox->messages) and I
> found that the problem occurs only when nsrjb request involves volume
> labeling (ie. a new/blank tape is requested).
> Last night backup did not label any tapes so it went smoothly.
> My question is, is it expected behavior when request for labeling is
> treated like this ?
> It looks like Networker proceeds with it only in case there is an empty
> drive by that time.
> Otherwise it waits, no matter if the tape that is currently in the drive
> is idle and can be unloaded.
>

> >  It helps for me. (Linux RedHat Legato 6.1.3)
> >
> >   Regards, Vitaly

Yuriy,

 I guess this is problem of particular library.

In my case (Storage Tek L40) each nsrjb labeling request goes to  nsrjb queue
 and has time-out value.

If tape drive is busy this current request will  die after time-out.

We do tape labeling via script. This script tries to label blank tape several
times (3) and if it's not lucky goes further.

I think mentioned above situation arises in case we have

 - more then one nsrjb (any tape library, for instance savegrp ) requests,

  - at least one free tape drive,

  - jukebox parallelism is more then 1 (set up automatically and Legato doesn't
recommend to change it)

   - jukebox incorrect resolves  some sequence of nsrjb(any tape library)
commands

On the other hand, Legato has to have a remedy for this non standard (for
Networker) situation.

--
Yours,  Vitaly Porotikov aka vp12929 on ws22a963

 Trap full -- please empty.