Networker

Re: [Networker] Running level backups?

2003-04-22 17:26:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running level backups?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:26:57 -0500
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:16:47PM -0400, George Sinclair wrote:
> If you run the following level backup schedule on a given client:
>
> week 1: full
> week 2: 5
> week 3: 4
> week 4: 3
> week 5: 2
> week 6: 1
> week 7: 1
> week 8: 1
> week 9: full
>
> Then each level 1, just like all the other levels, should capture all
> changes since the previous full on week 1, not the changes since the
> previous level 1, correct? Also, assuming no files are deleted, and
> there are only changes, or additions, each level 1 should grow in size,
> correct? We had a client where the last level 1 was smaller than the
> previous level 1, but in most cases, I've seen it either stay the same
> or grow slightly. I just wanted to make sure it was working. I'm thiking
> that some data must have been deleted jut prior to that last level 1.

Both assumptions are correct, at least from my understanding.  Note that
the cascading levels in the above example could be executed by all level
1 backups (weeks 2-8,) since your level 4 is going to pickup your level
5 changes, etc.

We do fulls/3s/5s every quarter/month/week and at the end of the month
the 3-4 fives are all about the same size, with the ones later in the
month a little larger if there's data growth.

Dave