Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.0 Does NOT support TRU64 v4.X anything!

2003-04-19 05:56:50
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.0 Does NOT support TRU64 v4.X anything!
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:56:34 -0700
I upgraded our backup server to tru64 v5.1b (the last version of
tru64),installed NW 7.0 and upgraded the windows clients to NW7.0. When the
backup of our main unix server was supposed to happen I had the unpleasant
realization that NW7.0 will not work witn TRU64 v4.0 NW6.11 clients AT ALL.
It isn't that you are "not supposed" to use them, it plain flat out won't
work.

1. You can not install NW7.0 clients on a UNIX system running Tru64 v4.0F.
The Installer aborts with a message that it "declined" to install the
client.

2. You can not run the NW 6.11 clients.  NW7.0 daemon.log says "Version
mismatch or RPC error.  Upgrade to new version of client software".

Since our main application server is being phased out in favor of a sun box,
it would seem we would be OK, but there is no free lunch there either.
Since we must be able to recover data on the TRU64 server for 5 years, we
won't be able to delete our NW6.11 server.  We will "have" to keep it to
provide the ability to recover the data on the old file system for 5 years.
That means that we will have to purchase a newly licensed copy of networker
for the sun servers, or keep using the 6.11 server with its broken file
stageing.  Since neither of these is a pleasant alternative, I will be
recommending to management that we look into shifting over to veritas.

I am amazed that legato will only support the final file system (v5.0, and
5.1) and will loose all the users that are running everything before (all
the 3.X and 4.X file system versions.)

As if that isn't bad enough, NW7.0 clients on Windows don't support NT 4.0
EITHER!!!  I was able to use the NW6.11 clients on them though, so that
wasn't a loss, but the total loss of support of TRU64 v4.0f is not
acceptable for our company.

Calvin Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics