Networker

Re: [Networker] Creating a dump of a legato tape?

2003-04-17 16:53:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Creating a dump of a legato tape?
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:53:36 -0400
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:30:36 -0400, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:
If one makes a duplicate of a tape Networker has no way of tracking it.  The
orignal copy can have a location of "Jukebox" or "Offsite" but Networker
will have no knowledge where the copy is .

Also,  if Networker recycles the original tape, called tape001, and new data
is written to it, it still has no knowledge of the copy.   Its a bit
confusing now because we have a tape call tape001 from say March and a tape
called tape001 from April... if you try to scan in the old tape to recover
it will conflict with the current tape called tape001.  Very confusing.

I guess if you know the original volume name will never be reused a copy is
good ..ie.  a second or third copy of an evidentiary backup.

Robert Maiello
Thomson Healthcare

>So I guess the point is that if you can use utilities like 'dd', or
>'tcopy' on Solaris, then why ever use the clone volume feature? Other
>than the fact that cloning removes the multi-plexing (nice), wouldn't
>'dd' or 'tcopy' be faster and thus preferred?
>
>George
>
>Yura Pismerov wrote:
>>
>> George Sinclair wrote:
>> >
>> > We all know that you can clone a NetWorker volume which is really just
>> > cloning all the savesets, but does anyone if you can use something like
>> > 'dd' to dump the contents of a NetWorker labeled tape to something like
>> > tar and then re - 'dd' it back to another "blank" tape?
>>
>>         Why don't run

dd directly tape-to-tape with bs=64k (that is what