Networker

Re: [Networker] SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity

2003-04-17 04:05:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAN Tape Drive / Storage / Host Connectivity
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 04:05:30 -0400
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:29:28 +0200, Dony Pierre <Pierre.Dony AT NBB DOT BE>
wrote:

>Hi Chris,
>
>I share tape and disk access on the same SAN and on the same HBA (Emulex
LP8000) on a Solaris 2.8 and no problem.

>We use also IP over SAN to obtain Lan free backup with the following
config :

>     * In Windows box : one HBA LP8000 - protocol : Scsi over Fibre
channel for access to data on IBM ESS disk
>                                                  : IP over Fibre channel
for sending backup data to Networker server and storage node runnign on
Solaris 2.8;

>     * Solaris backup server : four HBA's LP9002 - protocol : on two
HBA's : IP over Fibre Channel
>                                                              on two
HBA's : Scsi over Fibre channel for writting backup data on STK drive 9940
(connected to the San) - and for writting backup catalog data on ESS disk.

>With this config, I only need one Networker server and one storage node on
Unix. On Windows machine, I have only Networker client.

I'm sure this is a valid configuration and that it works well, however this
is not really SAN backups in the accepted sense. There is no real
difference between what you are doing and using some other high speed LAN
technology for your backups. Already we can see SAN and LAN technologies
converging...