Networker

Re: [Networker] A few questions on cloning

2003-04-17 01:03:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] A few questions on cloning
From: Andrew McGeorge <Andrew.McGeorge AT ASBBANK.CO DOT NZ>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:00:37 +1200
George,

In the case where you lose the original, but still have the clone, mark the
savesets on the original tape "suspect". I believe that this will cause
NetWorker to ask for the clone tape by default. If you delete the original
tape from the media DB it will also delete the index files for the affected
savesets and you will have to recover them from the clone. If you still have
the original tape and want to re-label it for some reason, this will leave
the clone tape intact, and the indexes available for browsing.

For how the tapes are named, take the following example.

Assume all of your tapes fit in the range 000001 to 005000. You just label
them into whichever pools you see fit. Lets say  NetWorker is cloning a tape
in the "Default" pool (volume 000123) to a tape in the "Default Clone" pool
(volume 000171) and runs out of space on the clone tape. It will merely
choose another tape in the correct clone pool "Default Clone" (perhaps
volume 001723).

In your case it sounds as if you have Auto-media management switched on and
expect NetWorker to label a blank tape. Using your example, the second tape
would be called "Full_clone.002". Remember, when you clone a volume, you are
really cloning all the savesets on the volume. When you tell NetWorker to
clone a volume, it makes a list of all the savesets on the volume and then
proceeds to copy the savesets, one by one, to the clone medium. The clone
tape will not be multiplexed and is therefore not an exact copy of the
original tape.

regards
Andrew McGeorge