Networker

[Networker] AIX and HP-UX tape configuration

2003-04-15 11:02:10
Subject: [Networker] AIX and HP-UX tape configuration
From: Mark T Wragge <storage AT TTT DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:01:42 +0100
 Hi.
Would anyone be able to give me some AIX and HP-UX commands and procedures for
configuration of tape devices and fibre cards.  I would like the relevant
AIX/HP-UX commands that would compare with configuring a solaris system.  My
experience of these systems is limited (especially when it doesn't work first
time) but they are part of a Tape SAN that must be configured as proof of
concept.

1) What is the procedure for configuring tape devices on an AIX or HP-UX
system?  In a solaris system the procedure would be to edit st.conf and use the
commands drvconfig and tapes.  Do theses other flavours of Unix follow a
similar procedure and what would this be?

 2) Is there a command similar to pkginfo which is used on solaris to see what
drivers/software are installed on an AIX or HP-UX system?

 3) The FC-HBA driver directory exists on the AIX server and when the fibre
cable is plugged in the port on the switch lights. I would think that this
would mean that the Emulex driver is installed.   But the inquire command sees
no tapes.  I am not sure where to go from here.

 4) Am I to use the ioscan command rather than inquire on HP-UX.  Is this the
same as the inquire command and can it negatively effect the server in any way?

 5)  Sun has a good website with relevant files to help troubleshoot.  Is there
a good web site for HP-UX and AIX.

Regards and thanks,  Mark