Networker

[Networker] Need help with jukebox utilities under /etc/LGTOuscsi

2003-04-14 18:02:21
Subject: [Networker] Need help with jukebox utilities under /etc/LGTOuscsi
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:02:22 -0400
Hi,

I some questions on the utility programs that NetWorker puts under
/etc/LGTOuscsi on Unix.

1. There are no man pages on these, and some of them don't appear to do
anything when you run them (e.g. sjiinq). How do you know what they do
if you have no help information on them and they don't do anything when
you run them? I tried a google search and nada! Can someone explain a
little about these utilities ortell me where I can get more information
on them?

2. Are the names of these utilities standard between backup software,
e.g. Veritas, et al.?

3. I occasionally need the ability to move a tape from a slot or the CAP
door to a drive and vice versa without NetWorker getting involved, e.g.
when using something like tar. I use the 'inquire' command a lot, but
I've never run the others. Sometime ago, one person suggested using
'sjimm' like:

sjimm [email protected] slot # drive #

where x, y and z values are obtained from 'inquire'.

for moving a tape from a slot into a drive, but is there a different
command that should be used to unload the tape first before running the
command to return it back to the slot? Must I use 'nsrjb' to move the
tape from the CAP door to a slot first before running sjimm or is there
a way to move it straight from the CAP door to the drive?

4. What's the difference between 'movemed' and 'sjimm'? 'movemed'
mentions '-a' b.t.l  and something about transport address. What are
these values and parameters mean? What's transport address or an example
of that value?

Would greatly appreciate any help here?

George
George.Sinclair AT noaa DOT gov