Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato Support Programs

2003-04-12 10:43:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato Support Programs
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 09:43:46 -0500
Ed,

We were a Premier-level customer for three years, from 1999-2002.   When
it came time to renew our contract, we opted to drop our support to
Extended for a couple of reasons, primarily because it seemed to our mgmt
team that our Backup/Recovery Team (just me, now) had collectively enough
knowledge of the product (NetWorker, in our case) to resolve 90% of the
issues without having to call Legato Support.   We also made this decision
because the products we'd licensed were all working well enough and were
stable enough that we didn't feel like we would need to call very often.

There are a few gotchas worth considering, which your Legato sales rep may
or may not have told you about:

* turnaround time:  with Premier support, (from memory, so I hope this is
correct) all calls are transferred immediately from dispatch to a TSE
(Tech Support Engineer); with Extended, even "sev 1" cases have a two- or
four-hour turnaround time.  Generally the TSEs have been pretty good about
jumping on them, however.

* Premier Support Account Mgr:  with Premier-level service, you get your
very own PSAM -- a person at Legato Support who watches your open cases to
be sure you're getting timely resolution, and escalates issues on your
behalf within Legato.   With Extended, you don't get a PSAM, so you have
to go up the usual chain of command.

* "advance notice" of upcoming releases.  This is kind of cool; we used to
get calls from our PSAM one or two weeks in advance of a GA date, telling
us when a product we'd licensed was going to receive an update.   With
Extended support, you hear about it when everybody else does -- usually
when you read it at Legato's website. :-)

There are probably others, too, but that's what I recall as being the most
useful features of Premier Support.

HTH,

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.

Ed Skolnik <eskolnik AT INTERPUBLIC DOT COM>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/11/2003 03:37 PM
Please respond to Legato NetWorker discussion; Please respond to Ed
Skolnik