Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering files from a relabelled tape

2003-04-10 11:33:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering files from a relabelled tape
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:33:29 -0400
On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Michael Pye wrote:

>Is it possible at all (maybe using scanner) to recover what was on a
>tape before it was relabelled, even if we have done a small amount of
>writing to it ?

This is very unlikely, but there are data recovery companies that
specialize in this soft of thing. These companies use tape drives that
have have been adapted in order to ignore tape marks.  You might be able
to find info about such companies at the http://www.backupcentral.com web
site or by doing a Google search.