Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering files from a relabelled tape

2003-04-10 11:03:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering files from a relabelled tape
From: James Edwards <jedwards AT SOS.STATE.TX DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:50:33 -0500
I don't believe it is possible using any Networker utility.  You might be
able to use dd in Unix to read the data past the file markers the new writes
have put on it.  I've done it accidentally on a 9-track tape so I know it
can be done in some circumstances.  The other problem is the usefulness of
the data once you read it out.

That being said, there are companies who specialize in this sort of thing
but they are pretty expensive.

Hope that helps.

Jim Edwards