Networker

Re: [Networker] Large SAN pounds single tape unit, how to split into multi savesets?

2003-04-05 16:16:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Large SAN pounds single tape unit, how to split into multi savesets?
From: Preston de Guise <pdeguise AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 07:16:47 +1000
Hi Rick,

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 01:19, Rick Reineman wrote:
> So the question is how to breakup the saveset so it can use all the tape
> units?  Right now we have a Sun L20 (2 DLT7000) on a Sun server.  We
> will be upgrading to a library with four tape units but that won't help until
> we figure out how to create more savesets from the large filesystem.
>
> I have been thinking about configuring the backup as a series of individual
> directories under the SAN mountpoint.  This would be similar to
> backing up a netapp box via NFS.  This has it's own management challenges
> such as remembering to add newly created directories to the
> backup config.  Also I can't see how to backup files that would be in that
> first level directory if I have specified all the subdirectories for backup.
>
> I did not see on Legato's website where a module they had would help.  They
> have something called a SAN module but it looks like it is a storage
> node thing.  I don't understand how it addresses the issue of breaking up the
> large saveset to multiple devices.
>
> I have tried searching the archives but can't seem to get the search to
> return anything at all.  I'll try browsing by month instead, that will take
> much longer so I'm posting this in the meantime.
>
> Appreciate suggestions and opinions.

Under NetWorker 7 at least you can configure your backup command to be:

"save -M x"

where "x" is the number of concurrent savestreams you want to generate
from the same filesystem.

For instance, if you're confident that the underlying disk(s) can
support 4 simultaneous streams, configure it as:

"save -M 4"

It's necessary to have the client instance with this filesystem defined
on it's own so that NetWorker then doesn't try to get this level of
streaming out of _all_ filesystems but it does work under NetWorker v7
for Unix.

(I've currently got a bug report open with Legato over the save -M
feature under Windows, which doesn't seem to work from all my tests so
far.)

FWIW, when you fire up a save in this manner NetWorker does some initial
calculations on filesystem size and layout and starts generating the
concurrent saves. Saves are generated in such a way as they look like
"old" v5 saves.

E.g., if I were doing this to /d/01 I would get savesets of:

/d/01
<1>/d/01
<2>/d/01
<3>/d/01

But all at the same time.

You also have to configure your tape target parallelism correctly or
ensure that only one tape drive is available to the client, because
NetWorker will also make use of this to allow you to stream the same
filesystem to multiple tapes (handy if you've got a big filesystem and
older tape technology too).

Cheers,

-Preston.

--
Preston de Guise <pdeguise AT bigpond.net DOT au>