Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato Server Inquiry

2003-04-04 16:54:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato Server Inquiry
From: Bob Schuknecht <Bob_Schuknecht AT HILTON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:50:42 -0600
>From our experience with  running Networker on Intel and W2K the biggest
bottle neck is I/O. The backup server is handling each of the following:
        client index
        media index
        data to tape drives
        data from clients
        meta data from clients/storage nodes
        polling storage nodes to make certain their still alive

Get the biggest and badest I/O subsystem you can find. Make sure you
completely understand how many PCI slots are controlled by each
bridge chip as its very easy to flood one.

Our recommendation is to make the backup server an index server and
robotics mover (if you're using a library) only. Point the clients to a
storage node.

A consultant told us a good rule of thumb is two tape drives per processor.

Our four Xeon 700MHz processors and 2GB of RAM are handling their part of
the
mix with ease. We have 10 tape drives assigned to the backup server.

-Bob