Networker

[Networker] Large SAN pounds single tape unit, how to split into multi savesets?

2003-04-04 10:29:05
Subject: [Networker] Large SAN pounds single tape unit, how to split into multi savesets?
From: Rick Reineman <reineman1 AT LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:19:03 -0500
We just brought a SAN online and as you would expect that huge filesystem ends
up writing to a single tape unit during a full backup.  The other
tape units have already finished the other savesets and sit idle.

So the question is how to breakup the saveset so it can use all the tape units?
 Right now we have a Sun L20 (2 DLT7000) on a Sun server.  We
will be upgrading to a library with four tape units but that won't help until
we figure out how to create more savesets from the large filesystem.

I have been thinking about configuring the backup as a series of individual
directories under the SAN mountpoint.  This would be similar to
backing up a netapp box via NFS.  This has it's own management challenges such
as remembering to add newly created directories to the
backup config.  Also I can't see how to backup files that would be in that
first level directory if I have specified all the subdirectories for backup.

I did not see on Legato's website where a module they had would help.  They
have something called a SAN module but it looks like it is a storage
node thing.  I don't understand how it addresses the issue of breaking up the
large saveset to multiple devices.

I have tried searching the archives but can't seem to get the search to return
anything at all.  I'll try browsing by month instead, that will take
much longer so I'm posting this in the meantime.

Appreciate suggestions and opinions.

Thanks,
Rick Reineman
Lawrence Livermore National Lab - UNIX Systems Manager