Networker

Re: [Networker] Netware client backup from a UNIX server

2003-04-01 09:49:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Netware client backup from a UNIX server
From: Timothy Biles <tbiles AT D.UMN DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:47:45 -0600
Yes, that has all been checked too.  DNS works, but as a precaution, we
also added the entries for each in the coresponding hosts files on each
machine.  Both machines are on the same subnet, and no firewalls are in place.

We have also run the saveset manually from the server in verbose mode to
capture more details.  It doesn't show anything helpful that we didn't
already know.  Something is funny with the TSA communications, but what it
is I just can't figure out.  Fortunately, I can still use my other backup
product (ArcserveIT 6.6).  However, we've been trying for many months to
move away from this, to a solution that supports TCPIP.  Since we already
own Solstice(Legato), we didn't want to upgrade to current versions of
Arcserve (which I haven't heard glowing comments about either).  We also
wanted a single backup solution for our enterprise, which was another
reason to stick with Legato.  Unfortunately, Netware seems to be an
afterthought in most vendor's minds, and the support is extremely lacking.
 This probably has a lot to do with the fact that our support is through
Sun, because we actually license it from them as the Solstice product.  The
documentation isn't much better, in my opinion.

I appreciate all the ideas.  Thank you.

Joaquin Camp wrote:
  Hi Timothy,

  Sorry that your backups aren't up and running yet.  But have you
checked that name resolution works?  It sounds like it could be that.
If the manual backups works but not the server initiated, name
resolution could be the answer.  And just to be sure, I hope you don't
have any firewalls involved.

  Good luck with Sun.
/Joaquin Camp.