Networker

Re: [Networker] Bar code reader and inventory question?

2003-03-26 10:52:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bar code reader and inventory question?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:52:48 -0500
I think your guess seems reasonable. I know from experience that in
cases where the volume is no longer listed as being in a given library,
e.g. it was previously removed and placed on shelf, NetWorker will not
re-load it into the drive if you inventory it with bar coding turned on
even though the library may have been moved. It appears that the only
time it DOES re-load it is if it was previously listed in a given
library and either the library has changed names or the drives, as you
suggested, have changed. So, perhaps, tapes loaded in a given library
are not simply seen by their bar codes but are additionaly seen by their
bar codes at that particular location, not just one or the other, but
both. So, until you remove the volume from the library, it's bar code to
internal label matchup is volatile in the sense that it's bound to that
location and will have to be re-loaded every time the location changes
until it's removed from the library. At that point, it's golden.

George