Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWare savepnpc: can it be done?

2003-03-25 17:34:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWare savepnpc: can it be done?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:34:20 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NetWare savepnpc: can it be done?, Julian...:

>we have a similar problem, but get around this by using the netware cron
>deamon. it does mean though that if you use cron to start the service again
>that you backups must be well finished.

Because NetWorker has historically had problems with multiple groups
running at the same time, we dumped using the NetWorker method of starting
groups years ago.  We have a couple cron jobs, one that starts in the
evening and one that starts just after midnight, that run our groups
via the `savegrp' command.

This serializes the backups, but has the unfortunate side affect that one
cannot predict when backup group #2 through backup group #N will start,
because it depends on how long the preceding backup groups take.

While using cron on the NetWare box will work, we'll have to make the
"window" when the virus protection software is unloaded very large, to
accomodate the uncertainty as to when our NetWare servers will get backed
up on any particular night.  That's ok, but having `savepnpc' on NetWare
would be a far superior solution.  I do thank you for the suggestion,
though.

Still, now that Terry has reported the "multiple concurrent groups" issue
has essentially been resolved, perhaps we'll go back to the
NetWorker "autostarted" backups.

Terry, do you have any idea when this change was implemented, and whether
or not the documentation has been changed to reflect the change?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu