Networker

[Networker] STK L700e, HP LTO problem

2003-03-25 05:32:16
Subject: [Networker] STK L700e, HP LTO problem
From: Bob Payne <bob_payne AT FWUK.FWC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 05:32:16 -0500
Networker server: E450 running Solaris 8
Tape Library: StorageTek L700e, 6 x HP LTO ultrium 1 drives, firmware level
E225/005.074

I flagged this problem last week and it's happened a couple of times since.
Briefly, during a backup Networker reports a tape as "full", and on the
nwadmin screen it reports the drive as "writing, finding eom". At this
point the drive hangs and has to be power cycled to eject the tape.

This started happening about 3 weeks ago and we've had maybe 5
occurrencies. The library has been in place since last August. We've had no
h/w or s/w changes in recent months.

Interestingly, there is nothing reported in the daemon log or the messages
file. iostat does report some transport errors on the drive that it happens
on. It's happened on 5 of the 6 drives so far which spans all 3 SCSI cards.

Imation tapes are in use. It's happened on different tapes from different
batches.

Sun, STK, Legato are all saying "It's not me!"

Any ideas?

Sun, STK, Legato are all saying "It's not me!"