Networker

Re: [Networker] Schedules - how do I do this?

2003-03-24 13:50:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Schedules - how do I do this?
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:44:49 -0800
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Teresa Biehler wrote:

> Subject: [Networker] Schedules - how do I do this?
>

> Hi,
>
> We're in the process of revising our retention policy.  We'd like to
> implement the following:
>
> o Daily backups are kept for a month (these are mostly incrementals, but
> there are some clients that do full backups daily)
>
> o Weekly backups are kept for a quarter
>
> o Monthly or Quarterly (not sure which yet) are kept for a year

Theresa,

We have a similar setup.

Create three separate pools, one for daily, weekly and monthly (I call mine
FULL, DIFF and INCR).  This allows you to sort data on tapes by retention
policy and you can recycle the dailys within a month.  For schedules, I
separate my clients into four categories.  We stagger the weekend that a full
is done so that we even the load on the server over four weekends.  I have
four schedules, full-week-1, full-week-2, full-week-3, full-week-4.  Each
schedule does a full on one Saturday, level 5s on the other Saturdays and
level 9/incr (NDMP/non NDMP) on every other day.  Each client then uses one of
these schedules to determine the backup level each day.  To make tape
recycling more flexible, we only use one barcode scheme.  That way I can
recycle a daily tape to the full pool without removing the barcode/label.

Shelley