Networker

[Networker] Networker restore using diff ntwkr version and diff UNIX platform s

2003-03-20 16:35:35
Subject: [Networker] Networker restore using diff ntwkr version and diff UNIX platform s
From: Kirk Reindl <kirk.reindl AT OSIOUTSOURCING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:25:20 -0600
Hi,

I'm completely new to this user community; please forgive me for any
improper etiquette.

My company is currently running Networker 5.1.1 using DataGeneral UNIX.  We
currently are running fullsystem backups.  As part of a disaster recovery
plan, we are attempting to do a selective restore of the fullsytem 5.1.1
tape to an HPUX server running Networker 6.1.3.  This HPUX server is not
part of our LAN, however it has a direct attached DLT tape drive.  Could
anyone tell me if a selective restore is possible, given my situation?
Currently, I can't even mount a 5.1.1 tape on HPUX server running  6.1.3.

If a selective restore is possible, could you give me the exact steps needed
to do the restore??  I'm new to Networker, however I've worked with HP's
fbackup and cpio.

I believe I need the following info to make this work:
*       bootstrap info
*       media index
*       backup index
I just don't know where the info resides (on the tape or 5.1.1 server) and
how I go about getting it.  Nor do I know the order to use if any.

Also, if I can't extract selective data from a fullsystem backup, would I be
able to extract data if I do a manual backup on the 5.1.1 system.

Any info you could give me would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Kirk Reindl
UNIX Systems Administrator
Outsourcing Solutions Inc.
2520 South 170th Street
New Berlin, WI  53151
T: 262-780-2052
F: 262-780-2004
E: kirk.reindl AT osioutsourcing DOT com