Networker

Re: [Networker] RFE for cloning - your opinion, please

2003-03-20 03:14:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] RFE for cloning - your opinion, please
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:14:17 -0500
Terry Lemons wrote:

>So, here's the question:  is this a useful idea, so useful that NetWorker
>should be enhanced to do it?  Do you need to clone to different clone
pools?
>Does your data have different retention periods?

Our data has indeed different retention periods. However, we don't clone -
mainly because it would take too much time. We do two full backups instead
and store one in a fireproof vault.

We might start cloning with networker 7 and the new disk based facilities.

BTW My main concern is finishing the backup in the first place. I think
Legato has not done enough to make sure that the backup is as short as
possible. We really need to be able to consolidate client sessions towards
the end of a backup. It is better to stream one tape drive than having four
trickeling.

greetings,