Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP of netapp filling up /nsr/tmp

2003-03-17 16:48:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP of netapp filling up /nsr/tmp
From: Stan Sander <ssande AT SANDIA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:48:22 -0700
Adam wrote:

1. I am assuming that Legato buffers to these files because the network
(Gigabit) is faster than the tape can handle and thus turning off this
intermediate file write is impossible and/or not-adivsable.  If those
assumptions are wrong, please correct me.

2. Is it possible to redirect the scratch/buffer file somewhere else from
within Legato or should I just link /nsr/tmp to another filesystem?

3. Since /nsr/index has all the space, would it harm performance horribly if
I linked /nsr/tmp there?   /nsr/index is just a a few mirrored disks in a
diskpack so disk throughput is already not the best, but so far it has been
sufficient for our overnight coldbackups shop.

4. What are the sizing requirements for thes scratch/buffer files so I can
properly plan for growth?  I.e. something like "Legato uses 1.5K per MB"
(which is what it would be if netapp1's 68GB was just filling up the 113MB
free.

5.  Is there a more thorough source of info/documentation that I missed?
The main document I used when I set all this up many months ago (and it has
been working fine, done restores and all that) is the Legato Networker,
Release 6.1 Unix Version Administrator's guide.  If there is a better
document covering setup/tweaking, etc. then I missed it and would appreciate
a pointer to that as well.

My apologies if all this was alread covered, I checked the archives, google,
and websupport and found no addition information.   So if I missed a thread
or subject that would get me to the correct information, please redirect me.

thanks for any info, background, pointers, etc.

Adam

Adam,

I'll venture on answering question 4, which I believe addresses your
real problem.  It has been my expierence that for NDMP backups Legato
requires ~500MB in /nsr/tmp per 1 million files backed up via ndmp.
This file eventually becomes part of your index after it is processed
by nsrindexd at the completion of the backup.

--
Stan Sander - CSU Special Projects
Unix Systems/Server Administrator