Networker

Re: [Networker] Remote backups using legato

2003-03-17 15:52:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Remote backups using legato
From: "Day, David" <david.day AT CENTERPULSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:52:43 -0600
-------------- you wrote -------------

"standardizing on local Legato install (major drawback is need for
local administration of tapes, etc. plus the need to purchase a few more
licenses)"

-------------- I replied --------------

We just completed this process.  The remote sites are W2K systems and we did
not want to depend on WAN for backups or restores; not to mention putting
the data across our WAN links.  Especially if we were in a quick recovery
mode.

For remote control of the application, I either RC the W2K Legato server or
run the GUI from my desktop.  We chose not to purchase the management
software from Legato.  The implementation just was not complex enough to
warrant additional packages.  I did choose to use Legato's NRM and am still
testing.

The cost of Workgroup licenses was easy enough.  We do cold backups
(Exchange, SQL) so no need for agents.  A single processor Intel box is
cheap enough and in our small space, I installed DLT8000 stand alone drives.
The bigger sites use DLT8000 libraries which we already owned and deployed.

For tape swaps, I wrote very pleasing instructions complete with pictures
and have experienced good cooperation from our non-IT staff.  On occasion,
someone gets a day off and I either append the next backup or call someone
else to do the swap.

The only change I'm considering is going back later and sidegrading my
Legato servers from W2K to Linux.  I'm waiting to see how prudent this is
and build up my expertise in the other OS.

Cheers
David