Networker

[Networker] How to reserve a drive in a jukebox?

2003-03-14 16:24:18
Subject: [Networker] How to reserve a drive in a jukebox?
From: Matthew Braithwaite <mab AT CNET DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:14:04 -0800
Is there a way to do one of the following?

  (a) Tell Networker to surrender a drive at the next available
  opportunity?  By surrender, I mean something like ``do not use the
  drive for any operation except one that I start by hand''.

  (b) Tell Networker not to use a drive at all, except for certain
  purposes -- mainly inventories and restores.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that all N drives in our jukebox
are busy constantly.  We could still get all our backups done with N-1
drives, though: the server is network-bandwidth constrained, rather
than tape-bandwidth constrained.  So we'd like to have a drive sitting
idle for the occasional restore and for jukebox inventories (which
require a free drive, even if that drive is never needed to read a
label).

We're using Networker 5.5.1 on Solaris 7, and a Sun L1000 four-drive,
30-slot DLT jukebox.

TIA for any help.