Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto media management and pools?

2003-03-10 11:38:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto media management and pools?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:38:24 -0500
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:31:15 -0500, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:

>If you have auto media management turned on, how can you ensure that
>NetWorker will label the given tape into the correct pool? We used to
>use auto media management when we had just one pool, but now that we
>have two or more pools, we've gone to simply labeling new tapes as soon
>as we put them in the library. These tapes do have bar codes, but this
>way we ensure that they will be labeled into the correct pool.
>
>Does anyone know if there's a way to ensure that they will be labeled
>into the correct pool with media management turned on? How will
>NetWorker know?

NetWorker's idea of the "correct pool" is the pool it needs a tape for
right now, and nothing more clever than that. The whole idea of AMM is that
you have a pool of unlabelled tapes that just get used whenever they are
needed. If you are one of these sites that matches up pool names to
barcodes then AMM will never work for you. Many sites just have barcodes
that don't mean anything except for the fact that they are unique.

Seems to me that AMM is not for you, you are probably best to do manual
labelling and don't recycle between pools. If you are happy with this there
is nothing wrong. Where it causes a problem is when something changes in
your environment (possibly beyond your control) that requires a couple of
new pools. Suddenly your system is not flexible enough to cope. Like I say,
if it works for you there's nothing wrong with it.