Networker

Re: [Networker] 6.X on Tru64 4.0D?

2003-03-10 04:03:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] 6.X on Tru64 4.0D?
From: Carston Locher <clocher AT LEGATO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:31:38 -0800
Brian,

I'm not aware of any known problems between 6.x and Tru64 4.0D.  Usually
a platform is dropped because it is old and we try to limit how
many OS flavors and revisions we support.  This does not necessarily
mean it won't work.  It does however mean you will likely be hassled
when calling technical support (escpecially if the problem looks even
remotely OS related).

I personally would recommend getting a new backup server.  If you
can't and you want to get to 6.x I would make a copy of /nsr before
you do the upgrade (tar/ufsdump).  This way you won't have to do a
true disaster recover if you have problems.  There were extensive
media db and index changes in 6.x.

You do need an update enabler to go from 5.x to 6.x.  Hence you
have to have paid for update support to get the authorization code
for this enabler.  You should contact Legato Customer Service (should
be phone number in manuals or on CD manuals.

Thanks,

Carston