Networker

[Networker] max parallelism for a jukebox

2003-03-07 08:35:05
Subject: [Networker] max parallelism for a jukebox
From: Jim Lane <JLane AT TORONTOHYDRO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:34:50 -0500
I've just read a couple of posts on this from yesterday and I'm
confused. the replies tended to suggest that this value should be
related in some way to the number of drives in the jukebox that
Networker should use for backup, as against leave free for ad hoc usage,
restores etc. I was told by the Legato consultant that this value is the
maximum number of saveset streams that can be directed to all the drives
in the jukebox at once. on that basis this number is supposed to be set
at or above the sum of the "target sessions" for all the tape drives. at
least that's what I was told. on that theory the Legato guy set the "max
parallelism" in my 4-drive STK 9710 to 32. now I'm worried. who's right
here? am I over-specifying this value?

Jim Lane
Sr. Technical Consultant
Network Services