Networker

Re: [Networker] Solstice Backup or Legato Networker

2003-01-29 05:30:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solstice Backup or Legato Networker
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:30:09 -0500
We're primarily Sun systems here (and Sun Reseller status didn't hurt), so
bought Solstice Backup.  My experiences with it have been varied:

 - Though I'm not thrilled with Legato's license scheme in general, Sun
handles the licensing end (no need to contact Legato), and has been quite
painless.  Just make sure in your communication to them (email in my case)
that Purchase Order, Purchase Date, and Seller are included and you can use
a mix of Legato and Sun expansion enablers.  That's happened here with no
incident.

 - If this is your first time with this kind of product, consider buying
Sun's support at minimum of Gold level.  If you don't need 24-hr support,
Silver will do.  But this has been worth every single cent, learned a lot
from it (and is nice for someone like me who works 3rd shift :-).

 - Our _only_ caveat with Sun's support on the product was for backup of
non-Sun systems (in our case backup of Win2K servers, which included SQL
server & Notes modules).  However they've made a good comeback the last six
months, and even was able to get me some advance info on Legato 7 (which was
no different than the PDF link someone else posted here).  There was some
product confusion at first ["No, this is the Legato rebranded version!"] but
that faded away within the first couple weeks.

Hope this still helps,
--TSK

=====
T. S. Kimball               sungak @ att.net._rm_this_bit_