Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO drive

2003-01-06 01:55:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO drive
From: Riaan van Niekerk <riaanvn AT PUKNET.PUK.AC DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:13:37 +0200
>The other problem we've had is that we've never
>been
>able to get the nsrjb -H -E command to work properly with this rascal.
>There have been a few times when it was necessary to make Legato
>sane
>again after it lost its little brain. Unfortunatley, the command to do
>this simply fails.

hi there George

You did not say which version of Red Hat you were running. I picked up the
following on p67 under "Limitations in platform support" of the latest Unix
Release Supplement. This may or may not apply to you.

++++++

The nsrjb -HEv and nsrjb -HHv Commands Do Not Back Up with Red Hat
Linux 7.1 (LGTpa37268)

The reset (nsrjb -HEv) and force eject (nsrjb -HHv) commands do not function
with
Red Hat Linux 7.1. When either command is executed it runs to completion but
does
not reset the autochanger, its drives or a eject tape and no error message is
reported.

Workaround

1. Use the mt -f device name rewoffl command to eject a tape from a drive.
2. Run the nsrjb -HEv command to reset the tape.

++++

this error was added to the notes on 10 July 2002 (as per p25), when 7.1 was
still the latest supported version of Red Hat, AFAIK. Not sure if this problem
still persists on later versions, but I have never had a problem running nsrjb
-HE on any versions between RH 6.2 and 7.3, and our SDLT library has been
running RH 7.1 for more than a year.

greetings

Riaan van Niekerk
Unix-stelseladministrateur
B.Juris, B.A., RHCE, IBM Certified AIX Sysadmin
ITB Netwerke en Infrastruktuur
Potchefstroomse Universiteit
Tel : (018) 299 2147
Fax: (018) 293 5299

 /"\
 \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - NO HTML EMAIL!
  X  PLEASE QUOTE ONLY RELEVANT PARTS OF THIS MESSAGE.
 / \ DON'T QUOTE THIS SIGNATURE!

Hierdie boodskap (en aanhangsels) is onderhewig aan beperkings en 'n
vrywaringsklousule. Volledige besonderhede beskikbaar by
http://www.puk.ac.za/itb/e-pos/disclaimer.html , of by itbsekr AT puknet.puk.ac
DOT za

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer.
Please refer to http://www.puk.ac.za/itb/e-pos/disclaimer.html for full
details, or at itbsekr AT puknet.puk.ac DOT za