Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux and stinit.def file?

2002-12-31 17:48:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux and stinit.def file?
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:48:19 -0500
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 04:37:10PM -0600, Tim Mooney wrote:

> <soapbox>
> I think it's rather unfortunate that Legato's example entries for the
> stinit.def are all for antiquated drives.  There isn't anything newer in
> there than an Exabyte 8505, as I recall.
>
> What I think is more unfortunate is that Legato does not officially
> support or suggest any particular entries for stinit.def.  The tech
> person told me that, and when I asked why they didn't have recommended
> entries for Linux's stinit.def while they do have recommended entries
> for Solaris' st.conf and Tru64's ddr.dbase, he didn't have a good answer.
> </soapbox>

*Cool... an unused soapbox*

<soapbox>
While the Legato techs were helpful my experience was pretty
much the same as yours. I even offered to help write a KB article
specifically covering Linux and stinit. I received a positive response
to my offer but it never went anywhere.

The whole incident left me feeling as if Linux is a second rate OS for
their support team. All though I will say that the tech that helped
did seem very Solaris friendly. :)
</soapbox>

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.