Networker

Re: [Networker] What is the command to inventory using all available drives?

2002-12-05 11:45:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] What is the command to inventory using all available drives?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:28:23 -0600
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 08:41:52AM -0500, Fowler, Carter wrote:

> You can also specify the device(s) to use for inventory purposes.  The
> command would look like the following in a Win environment...

>  nsrjb -Iv -f \\.\Tape0 -f \\.\Tape1 -f \\.\Tape2 -f \\.\Tape3 etc...
>
> So, if you have 4 drives in your jukebox and its set at 3 for
> parallelism by default, you can effectively use the above command to
> utilize all devices to inventory.  It's the long way around but it
> bypasses the need for modifying the jukebox parallelism.

Wow.  Every once in a while I learn a gem on this list that really makes
my setup better or teaches me something great about Networker.  This tip
will save me hours of manual time!!  I've been inventorying our
non-barcoded jukebox with the unix nwadmin interface as long as I've
been doing backups for our group (about a year and a half now.)  With
nwadmin, it inventories with one drive, and cannot do non-contiguous
slot ranges without running it multiple times.  But now....

nsrjb -I -S 12-20 -S 44-53 -S 59

saves me sooo much time.  Not only does it use as many drives as it can
(but I could force it above if necessary,) and operates much, much
quicker... I only have to do one inventory command and walk away.  It's
cleaner than the point/click GUI interface, and works much better for
me.

Thank you so much, Networkers!  I'm really glad I found this list.

Dave Mussulman