Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Compression defined

2002-12-04 13:49:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Compression defined
From: Wes Ono <wono AT LEGATO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:48:28 -0800
That's not how it works.  You're really sending the full amount of data over
the bus into the drive, then it is compressed by the controller in the
drive.

You might be sending 12 MB/sec to the drive over the SCSI, but the drive
squashes it down enough so it can be written to the tape at 6 MB/sec.

Wes