Networker

Re: [Networker] Basic question about savesets and parallelisms

2002-11-21 08:30:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Basic question about savesets and parallelisms
From: Matthew Bourne <mbourne2001 AT LYCOS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:31:10 -0500
Wes,

Doesn't it also depend on the underlying disk hardware?

I was under the impression that a client will not multiplex beyond the
number of available _physical_ devices on top of which the logical volumes
have been created.

To use Brian' set-up as an example, a client which has cdefgh drives (i.e.
6 logical volumes), but only has 4 distinct physical disks underlying that
structure, will create at most 4 different concurrent savestreams.

I thought that NetWorker had been designed in this way to prevent the disk
thrashing that will occur if a client tries to send two savestreams from
the same disk.

Brian - you don't distinguish between the server & client parallelism
settings.  Which are you talking about ?