Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging in Networker?

2002-11-18 09:36:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging in Networker?
From: "Fenton, Julie" <fenton AT WPB.NUWC.NAVY DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:36:14 -0500
Unfortunately relabeling the disk volume didn't help me.  I tried relabeling,
deleting the volume entirely, and relabeling as a new volume, reformatting the
disk drive, basically anything I could think of to clear anything that
Networker might be holding onto, but to no avail.  I have a new server coming
in very soon, and plan to install Windows 2000 server and hopefully verion 6.2.
 Staging is an excellent tool and I really hope it works again!

Outlining the steps I took....

First I set up a drive in Networker as media type file.
Set up a pool for this drive.
Set a group to save to this new pool.

Now my data is being saved to the disk drive.

The staging part was accomplished via a batch file that was kicked off via an
NT scheduled task.  The script was essentially just mminfo commands to find the
savesets I wanted to stage and put the saveset id's into a temporary file.
Then I ran nsrstage using the temporary file as the input to tell it what to
stage and where to put it.  Here's a subset of my script.

*** begin batch file ***

"d:\Program Files\nsr\bin\mminfo" -r ssid -q "client=client1, level=1, savetime
< '14 days ago', pool=Magnetic, copies=1" > stage.tmp
"d:\Program Files\nsr\bin\mminfo" -r ssid -q "client=client1, savetime < '20
days ago', pool=Magnetic, copies=1" >> stage.tmp
"d:\Program Files\nsr\bin\mminfo" -r ssid -q "client=client3, savetime <'7 days
ago', pool=Magnetic, copies=1" >> stage.tmp

"d:\Program Files\nsr\bin\nsrstage" -m -b "WPB M2 Clone" -S -f stage.tmp

REM Record those savesets in a log file

echo/ >> "d:\Program Files\nsr\logs\stage.log"
date/t >> "d:\Program Files\nsr\logs\stage.log"
type stage.tmp >> "d:\Program Files\nsr\logs\stage.log"

**** end batch file ****

I used the copies=1 when I started having problems, because I didn't need it to
stage the same saveset more than once, Magnetic was the name of the pool
assigned to my disk backup.  And as you can see, I used different criteria for
different clients to determine what to stage and when.  And for client1, I even
setup different criteria for different levels.  This way I was able to keep the
full that went with the most current incrementals all on disk at the same time,
staging the full only after the incrementals had been staged.

Hope this helps,
Julie