Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO gen II

2002-11-18 03:26:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO gen II
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:26:58 -0500
Peter D. Gray wrote:

>This is not exactly a networker question, sorry.
>
>We are currently running LTO generation I
>tapes (100GB uncompressed) with networker.
>Our IBM sales droid is telling us that the new
>drives are 200GB uncompressed (which agrees
>with the LTO web sites) and use the same media
>(which does not).
>
>Does anybody have anybody know whether the LTO Gen II
>tapes can do 200GB on the same media? I think the
>new SDLT can do 160GB on the same media
>as the 110GB drives. Is this true?

I believe that the roadmap indicates that the LTO2 will need new media.
They are supposed to be able to both read and write LTO1 tapes. Anyway,
this is still early times, LTO2 is supposed to be a year or two away.

SDLT320 is 160GB on the same tapes as SDLT220 uses. It might be that the
tapes will have to be bulk erased for the SDLT320 can use the tapes in
160GB mode. This is something you should check with your vendor.

greetings,